Trakehner forum at Trakehner Treffpunkt - Trakehner Meeting Place   Trakehner Treffpunkt

Trakehner personality traits

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 04:39:04 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Visit the Trakehner Classifieds at Trakehner Treffpunkt Support Trakehner forums when you shop!--click to learn how Support Trakehner forums by making a donation Return to Trakehner Treffpunkt home
Trakehner Treffpunkt - Trakehner Meeting Place  |  General Horse Topics for the benefit of Trakehners  |  Training  |  Topic: Trakehner personality traits 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Trakehner personality traits  (Read 3589 times)
elara
Novice

I love Trakehners!

View Profile
Trakehner personality traits
« on: June 20, 2006, 12:58:23 PM »

I was trying to explain to a prospective trainer what a trakehners personality traits are and why I was so particular about WHO was going to continue my horses training.  For those who have followed Meshak and I's story, there is good news.  My father came forward and offered to pay for his training since I had already brought him so far and he considers it an investment.  So I am now back on the road of finding just the right trainer.  I found myself stumbling over just how to tell someone who has never been around our breed why they are different from the every day quarterhorse, especially my horse who's had such a troubled beginning.  So I was hoping to pick some of your brains or see if one of you can be more elequent than I seem to be in this kind of explenation.  Most of you have been around the breed a lot longer than I have, and my experience has been with Trak's who have been having problems.  Thank you ahead of time.  8-)
EclypseSporthorses
ata
Old Hand

Go The Distance

View Profile WWW
Re: Trakehner personality traits
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 05:14:43 PM »

The main difference I have seen in our Trakehners is their intelligence & loyality.  I read your other post under looking for a trainer.  I hope that you find the perfect person that you trust and are happy working with- that is half the battle.
I would ask to watch some lessons the trainer is giving & to ask if it is okay to watch some training sessions & hopefully have a Q & A with the trainer.  Open line of communication is the most important aspect of trainer/clinet relationship.  How long are you looking at leaving your horse in training?  Best wishes to you & I wish you the best of luck.

"Delight yourself also in the Lord,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart."
Psalm 37:4
~*Ride-Far-Ride-Well*~
*^The Sky's the Limit^*~
fuzzy

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 05:19:49 PM »

I don't know about eloquent, but I can give you list of adjectives that more or less fit most of the Traks I've known.  

Social, smart, sensitive, jealous, energetic, proud.  Also, I have yet to run into one without a good work ethic.

I have found them to be a lot like Arabs in that they often have one-person or small-group attachments and that if they like you, they will go to the ends of the earth.  If they don't, forget it.  If you can find a trainer who understands the Arabian mind, and who does not believe in making them bug-eyed freaks, you should be on the right track.

Best wishes with your project.  
Deb
FEI

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 09:25:58 PM »

Good luck with finding a trainer.  I tell people my Traks have a strong sense of fair play.  If you are fair with them, they will be fair with you.  You have to ask, not demand. I had a bad experience with a potential trainer for my 3 yo last week.  It was on the ground as she's not under saddle yet but, this trainer took the "you are going to do what I say when I say it withouth question "approach, starting with putting a chain over her nose.  The more she demanded (with yanks on the chain) the more upset my girl got.  Honestly, all she learned was how to rear in hand and not get on the trailer and she wouldn't let me near as I was "distracting her."  The next day and two days later, I let her stand and think about it (trailer loading) and, after about 5 minutes, she walked right on.  No fuss, no rearing.  Needless to say, that ones been ruled out to start my girl.  I'm seriously thinking about a local Andalusian breeder at this point.
Beckie
ata
Gold Medallist

I LOVE Trakehners!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 04:57:24 AM »

I have several favorite phrases to describe Trakehners and their personalities, but my three favorites are these which I think sum up much of what we face with our hooved friends.

I read a quote from the 30's from the rider of Peppel, the Russian dressage champion which, paraphrased, went something like this "Treated fairly, he will never forget you, treated unfairly and he will never forgive you."

My personal motto when working with a Trak is "Ride the mind, not the body (of the horse)."  If you "teach" the horse instead of train/drill the horse, life is soooo much more fun.   Also, if you have a sour or spoiled aka untrusting trakehner on your hands, win some little battles with a lot of praise, they will quickly want to please you if you are fair and then give you more and more and more.......

And of course, if you (or your trainer) loose these battles....... my favorite phrase is "life is a b**ch when your horse is smarter than you are."  Unfortunately, no one wins when that is the case.   The horses confidence goes down and the rider/trainer hates the horse.......

In most cases, my best "punishment" or negative reward is more of a verbal "NO" and a possible slap on the withers than anything using a whip or chain.  The trakehners understand that whatever is happening is not right and they try to figure out how to please, (unless you have already lost their trust, then you have to get that back first).  This should be followed with lots of possitive voice encouragement and "good boy/girls".   

Hope this helps and good luck.  Raising them right and who touches them early is our best defense against peoples ignorance........
fuzzy

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 07:26:45 AM »

Beckie, I LOVE the forget/forgive quote.  How true!
elara
Novice

I love Trakehners!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 10:36:45 AM »

Thank you so much, do any of you mind if I just print these out?  I'm going to need cheat notes  Grin.  This is exactly what I was looking for!  Meshak is all these things, especially his loyalty and his so wanting to please me.  I haven't ever had to use more than my voice to let him know what he's doing is wrong, even then I can't yell or he has fits.  When his lipping gets to enthusiastic all I have to do is blow sharply on him or tap his lip and he jerks back and acts all indignant (sp?) and quits.  He always comes when I call him usually with his deep nicker and he follows my movements from his paddock when I'm cleaning stalls.  No matter where I am, when I look out he's looking or has his body placed so he'll see me when I emerge from the barn.  Well, you've given me the vocabulary to describe just what he's doing and I can't thank you enough.  Any one else, please feel free to add on, the more information the better.  I have to tell you that the people at my barn sometimes can't believe how sensitive he is.  The barn owner raised Peruvian Paso's and there are quite a few there.  The seem to be the exact opposite to a Trakehner.  I'll be using your replies to explain to them as well.  I'll try and keep you all posted.
elara
Novice

I love Trakehners!

View Profile
Meshak and Elara
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 08:12:41 PM »

Well, I haven't been posting much but now I have some news.  I have decided to find Meshak a home with someone who has the funds to continue his training Cry.  Our lives have taken a drastic turn in that my father, whom is the biggest support of my life, is facing a health issue that means we have to sell our home and all of us are going our own ways.  He was going to pay for Meshaks training but that can't happen now with funds going to getting the house ready for sale.  I had considered this before but now its turning out to be the best for all of us.   I'm so proud of the steps he's made and he's certainly made a good name for Trakehners at our barn.  I want to see him go on with someone who'll take him out into the show ring someday and let him strut his stuff like I know he has the talent for.  If he stayed with me he would likely just be a pleasure dressage horse and I think his personality needs more than that.  So, I'd love to hear what you think and suggestions.  This is what I have come up with:
I'm asking $4000 or trade for a good pleasure horse with $2000.  Of course I put negotiable on this because I always want people to feel free to negotiate.  Does this sound fair?  I already put up the ads, but I figured it easier to lower prices than it is to raise them.  You all helped me so much in the past and I just knew I had to run this by you.  Who knows, I may yet someday get my dream Trak but it seems its not to happen with Meshak.
fuzzy

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 06:38:15 AM »

Gee whiz, that stinks.  You've got a lot of work into that horse.  But it sounds as though I'd better split the forum in case the luck that got you, Elizabeth, and Steve Samples is contagious by "computer virus".  Ouch.  Sounds like a reasonable plan,though.
Elizabeth
FEI

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 03:41:33 AM »

Sheeesh, my luck is not that terrible  Grin

I have not posted much lately b/c I have been job searching and riding (the weather has been GREAT).  Hubby got a fantastic job at a firm that he loves, now it is just a matter of me finding something.   Cool

Holly and Delilah are doing great, if I play my cards right I'll even be able to purchase a new saddle for D in the next month!  A junior rider at my barn has been riding Holly in lessons on Thursdays and Saturdays and they are doing well.  This girl really likes Holly, but the mother doesn't want to lease Holly b/c she says the mare is too small.  Holly is just a hair under 16 hands, and the rider is about 5'8".  I think they look fine.  But...some people....  It is really too bad b/c this kid is serious about showing, just moved to IA from CA.  The parents want a horse for her, but they want to pay an entry level price for a luxury model.  Well, until they make up their mind my mare is ridden by someone more competent than me, and she is getting more training over fences. 

Elizabeth
SteveSamples
FEI

I love Trakehners!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 03:37:43 AM »

Actually I'm dodging the bullet so far on selling Copper. This thing may just work out after all, and thanks for the support and advice from this forum in that regard. Things do come to a good place eventually, I believe, just not always what we had in mind at first.
Blessings,
Steve +
Deb
FEI

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 05:22:33 PM »

I'm so sorry you are going to have to sell.   You've put heart and soul into him so I know this must be a very difficult decision.  Sounds like the right choice at this time though.

Glad to hear the positive updates as well.

While we are on updates, I finally found someone to start my 3 yo.  Me.  I lost her mother 3 weeks ago to EPM and spent my training money on vet bills so the decision was made for me.  A friend came out on Sunday and I walked around on her for the first time.  I'm sure issues will eventually come up but the biggest problem I had was that she forgot her steering in favor of following my friend around.  Hey, if that's what it takes to make her feel more comfortable the first time I ride her, I'm ok with that.  My friend made me promise not to get on again until she comes back out so I'm hoping she can come this weekend.

Pages: 1 Print 
Trakehner Treffpunkt - Trakehner Meeting Place  |  General Horse Topics for the benefit of Trakehners  |  Training  |  Topic: Trakehner personality traits « previous next »
Jump to:  
Sponsored by Tannenwald Trakehner

Equinnovation equine marketing
Maintained by Equinnovation Equine Marketing
Shop with our sponsors - support our online Trakehner community!
Suggest this site to a friend: